Friday, July 17, 2009

MAKING A LIFE CHANGING DECISION -- MAKING A DIFFERENCE

Hello Everybody

As most of you know, my life has been dramatically changing the last couple of years. It has been changing in great ways. I really have been blessed to have the family and friends that I do. I've had an amazing life with all the traveling I've done and all the events I have had the opportunity to attend Superbowl's, Pro bowls, All Star games, World Series, concerts and spring breaks for over a decade. LOL. It's been incredible and that is just a few of the things that I have been lucky enough to experience.

Almost two years ago, I made a major decision in my life to make it better. I opened my heart to GOD. Growing up I really didn't have much religious education. I always believed in GOD and tried to be a good person (most of the time). I would talk with my dad and tell him I felt I was missing something. At the time I was not sure what it was, however, I've since realized it was GOD.

In 2006 I began to pray occasionally and started to do a little research on religion. Then in September 2007, I was driving to Florida with my dad in a moving truck, it was 1:30a.m. and while he was sleeping, I received a text from one of my brothers, Craig. It was hysterical and it was about me. I was laughing because the text said, "Where's Barnzy?" and then gave a bunch of examples of where I could have been at that moment. There was a list of fun and great places where I regularly spent a lot of my time. Later as I was driving, I realized that if I died at that moment in my life, to a lot of people, that would be the memory of me, my legacy. Not that it was incredibly bad, but it just was not how I wanted to be remembered. While I have a lot of great memories and would only change a few, not everybody knows that "Crazy Barnzy guy". But the truth is that GOD knows him and so do I. So, while I was driving on that journey to Florida, I had a lot of time to think about my past and my future. When I was in Florida talking with my sister, Lyn, about making some changes in my life, she gave me good advise... "Pray and follow your heart." That Sunday I went to church with her and my brother Phil. I then drove across Florida about 1200 miles visiting family and friends for the week. While driving I had a lot of time to think and pray. I also had many enlightening conversations with my cousins and friends all throughout that journey.

After going to my parents the following weekend I headed back home to NY. On my way, I decided to stop in North Carolina to visit my cousins, Eileen & Jerry Mestas for a couple of days. While I was visiting, I had the opportunity to ask them a lot of questions I had about the Bible, Jesus Christ and GOD. They are born again Jesus Loving Christians for over 20 years and were very helpful. I knew it was up to me to do some soul searching and praying to figure out if I was ready to make this commitment to Jesus Christ and God. I called my Mom and Dad and then my brother and sisters, Darlene, Lynann and Stacey to tell them I was ready to make some major changes in my life. My sister Darlene said "How are you going to do that if you're in the music business? Meaning the temptations will always be around you." I replied "Doll, I'd rather be in heaven then the music business." We had a couple of laughs and everybody was supportive. My mom was so funny when she said "Is this something you can get out of later on?" I laughed and said " I'm not joining a cult, I am making a commitment to Jesus Christ and GOD, nobody else, and I'm not looking to get out of it." LOL.

After spending many hours in deep discussion and prayer, I decided I was ready. I prayed with my cousins and asked the Lord Jesus Christ to come into my heart and take over my life. I was baptized the next morning on 10/14/07, in a beautiful lake and it was amazing. I knew instantly that I made the right decision. See the video below of my baptism.

Later that night I drove back to NY. When I started to tell my friends and family about my decision to start a new life, I had a lot of great responses and a lot of very surprised responses. I knew that it would be a difficult journey but I also knew that it would all work out. It definitely was not an instant transformation into a new person, but it was the beginning of a great and long process that I am now embarking on. For the last 14 months, I have intentionally been striving to grow and learn more about our great creator God and his son, Jesus Christ. I prayed for Him to help me start my life over and make decisions that would enable me to journey into the life that HE wants me to have in order to bring honor and glory to HIM! I want my life to fulfill the purpose that HE created me for, to make a positive difference in this world and to serve Him now.

This prayer resulted in my move to Florida on January 1, 2009. It was very hard leaving my family and friends in NY, but I knew I had to do it. I've moved a couple of times since I've been in Florida and now live in Pompano Beach. I am currently working in a real estate investment office. I am doing great and am stronger in my faith then I have ever been. I have been intentionally building my foundation on the word of God and my relationship with Jesus Christ is getting stronger. I am ready to start spreading the word. As I said before, I have been blessed and now it's time for me to help others and share the blessings.

I have been praying for the Lord to show me an opportunity to serve Him in missions and believe HE has also answered this prayer. I am now planning to go to Ethiopia,( a 4th world country) at the end of August for 10 days with my cousin Eileen. Eileen and her husband Jerry have 3 biological children, Melissa-26 yrs, Jonathan -19 yrs, and Ellie -16 yrs old and have recently adopted 5 more children. The twin boys Jeremiah and James, 6 yrs. old are Mexican and Josiah, 4 yrs. old and his little twinette sisters Keren & Keziah, 2 yrs. old, are from Ethiopia. When Eileen & Jerry were in Ethiopia in November 2007 to adopt my 3 little cousins, they visited the Kolfe Boys Orphanage and had a life changing experience.

The orphanage housed more than 150 boys ranging from 10 yrs. to 18 yrs. old. They live in a compound that has not been maintained, or even noticed by the outside world for over 30 years. Broken windows, raw sewage seeping through the ground, broken and deteriorated beds to sleep on and absolutely no furniture anywhere in the compound were some of the conditions that broke their hearts. As a result of their visit and much prayer, they started a blog and a speaking ministry to tell God's people about the plight of these orphans that they witnessed first hand. James 1:27 says...pure and undefiled religion is to care for the orphans... They met a young man while at Kolfe named Solomon. He has lived in the orphanage since he was 7 yrs. old and has not one living relative in this world. He is all alone except for the other orphaned boys. For the last year and a half, my cousins have established a relationship with Solomon via letters, the Internet and have unofficially adopted him as their son. They have also been instrumental in helping raise over $50K to help renovate this orphanage. Windows have been replaced, new beds, bedding and mattresses were purchased, plumbing and new kitchen was installed as well as much needed food, clothing and supplies were purchased.

The policy of most orphanages in other countries is to release the kids when they turn 18 yrs. old. They basically give them a small amount of money, if the government has it, and put them out in the streets. These kids have no one to help them, no place to live and often wind up homeless and in very dangerous situations. Well, Solomon has just turned 18 and this is his situation. He is graduating from school in August and then they will open the gates and put him in the street. This is why my cousin has been called by God to go back to Ethiopia. She is going to be there for a young man, an orphan that has nobody in his life to give him help, love and support. Over the last year and a half amazing things have been happening for Solomon because of Eileen's trust and faith in Jesus Christ. People from the United States have visited Solomon and the Kolfe Orphanage, and several people who were on mission work also visited them. Through the fervent prayers from Eileen's heart and through a series of miraculous events, she has found a family in Ethiopia that will take Solomon in to live with them. While she is in Ethiopia she will help Solomon get established in his new life outside the orphanage and see for herself the work that has been accomplished at the Kolfe Orphanage since her last visit in 2007. It is also apparent that the Lord has more on HIS agenda to be accomplished while we are there.

I have been in the front row seat of watching God work in their lives and in Ethiopia. I have been praying for God to use me and show me where I can serve him. I really believe in my heart that God wants me to travel and help people but I didn't know when it was going to happen. I spoke with Eileen last night around 7:30 and she told me she is being called by God to go back to Ethiopia in August. I knew then, immediately, I would go with her on this trip. We are going to help an orphan young man start a new life, visit the other boys in the orphanage, bring them supplies and try to bring them some hope.

This trip will enable me to make a difference in some people's lives that I don't even know. I have been fortunate all of my life to have family and friends help me grow, get stronger and get established in my life. I have also been told by other people that I have helped them grow and become better in life. When they tell me this, I not only feel honored but I realize this is how I want to live the rest of my life. Now is the time to spread the Barnzy out. LOL.

So here is where you come in..... I need your help to make this trip happen. I can not afford to do this alone. I know that things are hard for all of us, but together we can make a difference. If you could come along side and help me to help others by sending a financial donation, I would greatly appreciate it. I need to get my flight, a place to stay for 10 days. After the traveling expenses are taken care of we will buy food for them to eat, grain, seeds for them to plant and other supplies that they need desperately. I am also going to see if I can break the Guinness book of world records for the most sweat that one human can do in 10 days.... LOL Please don't hesitate to give me a call and please keep me in your prayers.

LIVING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

Thank You for your time.
God Bless You and have a great day!!
George Barnes "Barnzy"

12 comments:

  1. George,
    I am so proud of you and amazed by the changes you are making in your life. I always knew you would make an impact on the world. I am glad you are using your powers for good, lol. You forgot to include an address for us to mail you donations! Love you! JQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barnes,
    Barnzy making a difference, I love it!! who better then you to spread the word of our Lord and Savior. You are and always been a great person to so many, I know you taught me about work ethic.LOL ( I would never not go to work with out calling)I can not be more happy that God put this on your heart, not only to spread the word to Ethiopia but to allow every one to see how serving GOD has now changed your life. It is awesome. I support you! Let Thy will be done not only in Ethiopia but to all you speak with . May God Bless you on your journey..( I am speaking in faith, I know you will collect the funds needed for this trip.). Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Brother,
    This blog has left me in TEARS!
    GODS WILL..WILL BE DONE!
    You used to be such a selfish person and NOW,
    YOU ARE NOT!
    Love you and MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS!
    Love Stace
    XOXOXXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barnz, This is so wonderful. I'm so happy for you. I know its hard to share with our friends about the One true living God, Jesus Christ, we dont know how they'll react? I think that you found a great way to tell your story. Your testimony may be "that thing" that people may need to open their blind eyes. We were all created with a void in our hearts and that void can only be filled by our creator. I pray that your story will open peoples heart and help them recognize their void and that they need the Lord Jesus Christ to fill it. May god bless you on your journey both at home and in Ethiopia.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. PRAISE THE LORD FOR HE IS SOOOOOOO GOOD!! WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU AND HONORED TO BE IN ON THE FRONT LINES OF THE WORK HE IS DOING IN YOUR LIFE. THE BEST IS YET TO COME MY BROTHER!!

    WITH ALL OUR LOVE FOREVER & ALWAYS THROUGHOUT ETERNITY...THE MESTAS CLAN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Georgie,
    I am so excited to see how God is using you right now. It is so amazing how you popped into the middle of our adoption journey and became part of it before we even went to Ethiopia. You became part of OUR story-and really it is not our story but GOD's story-and we could not figure out why. Isn't this incredible? It was like you were a puzzle piece in this big picture and we weren't quite sure where you were going to fit! We absolutely knew you were part of it but we were so unclear about where and when God was going to put you in the picture. Now it has become so clear. Isn't it just like God to keep us guessing and not revealing His plan until we surrender everything to Him? I am so proud of you Georgie and can't wait to see how this story unfolds! I feel so privileged to have been a part of this adventure in your life. I love you brother!
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glory to God in the Highest!
    I pray He continue to bless you as you spread His love to the less fortunate. Love you Barnes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Georgie I am so excited for you!  I'm glad that you found god and pray that you will continue to experience his greatness. You are a loving and caring freind so keep your heart open and God will always put you on the right path.  My prayers , Love and Support are with you.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. George!
    We've been thinking about you & wondering what youve been up to...Its been so long since we last saw you. We moved to new jersey 2 yrs ago & have been out of the loop for a while. We're so happy for you and would love to see you when your back in town...Our email is twins1011@aol.com & Ralphie's cell # is the same. Keep him in your prayers..he was diagnosed with cancer 3 yrs ago but is doing better now...Thank God!
    Remember Cancun?? Life was soo simple then..Your first aid kit came in handy..LOL
    Take care & good luck...Keep in touch!!
    Ralphie & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yo Barnzy,
    Good to see you making people happy... your way. Congratulations on life anew.
    I was the camera guy at a couple of events we did together in Vegas.
    Just wanted to say hi and see how you are.

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Georgie,
    So happy that you have found your true calling. Seeing the date of your baptisim, I now understand why you couldn't make it to the wedding!!:) Phil and I wish you all the best in this wonderful journey, good luck in Ethiopia..Next time your in Boston we'd love to see ya, or vice versa if we're ever in Florida. Will keep checking your blog for updates, be safe!!!
    Luv ya,
    Jess & Phil
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Georgie,
    Chris and I are so happy for you and wish you all the best on this special journey. We're here for you and would love to help you in any way we can. I look forward to reading about your time in Ethopia.
    All our love and support,
    Nicole & Chris Reda

    ReplyDelete